Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Keep up your Chin

If you're reading this blog, there's a strong chance it's because publishing a book is very important to you, whether you do it independently or with the help of a traditional publisher. In fact, it might be the most important thing you've ever done or will ever do. It's definitely the most important thing I've ever done, and I'm extremely proud of being an author.
While you may be extremely passionate about your title of "author," however, not everyone is going to feel the same way. In fact, no matter who publishes your book, it's important to remember that no one is going to care more about it than you do.
As you set out to promote your book, you're going to expose yourself to rejection. Not everyone is going to call or email you back. Not every review is going to be great. A lot of your own friends probably won't even buy a copy. But if you let any of that affect your motivation, you're going to run into trouble.
I have a newsletter to which people subscribe on my website, and I send one out every month or so. No matter how many new people sign up, the occasional "unsubscribe" notification always hurts my feelings. I know it shouldn't bother me, but it does! So believe me, I know this advice isn't easy to take. Just remember the old adage: you can please all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.
When it comes to book marketing, the best advice I can offer is this: try a lot of things, focus on what seems to work, and stay positive. And when you feel down, remember this: No matter what, you've written a book. So be proud of yourself!
Maria Murnane writes romantic comedies and provides consulting services on book publishing and marketing.  
This blog post originally appeared on CreateSpace.com. Reprinted with permission. © 2011 CreateSpace, a DBA of On-Demand Publishing, LLC. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment